Your One-Stop Guide To Passport And Visa
If you are reading this blog, chances are you have got admission to one of the Indian institutes or are planning to pursue your higher education here. This brings you pretty close to starting your journey in India.
When it comes to travelling abroad, passports and visas are important prerequisites.
It's not about going to a new place, but learning new ways to think
- Sanjay Jhingan
All offer letters by institutes will be given to students with passports. So if you do not have a passport, we advise you to apply for one at the earliest. If you don’t have a passport, go to your nearest passport office to apply for one. Passports may take anywhere from 3 days to 30 days to be issued.
PLEASE NOTE: This duration varies from country to country. We also recommend you get yourself a passport as your identification proof for future purposes.
The Indian Student Visa is a permit document by the Embassy of India, which allows a foreign national to enter India for the purposes of receiving education at a recognised educational institution. There are many categories of student visas in India. For example, a student would need to apply for a research Visa, if applying to a PhD course. No student is allowed to come to the country without obtaining a VISA from the Indian embassy in his or her respective country.
Indian Missions/Posts grants a student visa for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of study, whichever is less, to the following:
1. To international students coming to India to pursue regular and full-time academic studies in India.
2. The student should have a valid passport that does not expire during the period of his / her education in India.
3. Applicants should have proof of admission to a full time regular academic course in a reputed/recognized educational institution in India and evidence of financial support.
4. Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa (Not Tourist Visa). Its termination date will coincide with the period of the principal visa holder.
As soon as you have proof of admission into a full time regular academic course with a reputed/recognized educational institution in India, you can download the form from the website of the Indian embassy in your country. Visit or mail the physical form to the Indian embassy in your country.
Documents required for Visa: You would need the following documents to get a VISA
- Printout of the completed visa application form, signed by the applicant. [Please note that uploading the photograph is compulsory]
- 2 recent passport size photographs
- Confirmed admission/offer letter from a recognized university, signed by the International Students Advisor or the College/ Institution in India signed by the Principal. And, all institutes should mail the admission letter to the mail ID of the embassy.
- Proof of financial support from a sponsor with documentary evidence showing the availability of the equivalent of a 1st-year college fee plus US$ 2,000/- in the bank account. The documents required are a letter signed by the sponsor, the sponsor’s original passport with a copy of the page with personal details of the holder. If the company bank statement is being provided, company details linking the applicant to the account should be submitted.
- Such documentation may be subject to verification. Students should verify, in advance.
- Attach a photocopy of your passport.
**Disclaimer: The documents required for the Visa process vary from country to country. Please confirm the same from Indian High Commission in your country.
As this is sorted, you are all ready to pack your bags, set your heart and be ready to Study in India. We wish you all the best and may the journey unfold new chapters of your life.