If you are reading this blog, chances are you have got admission to one of the Indian institutes. And this brings you pretty close to starting your journey in India.
When it comes to travelling abroad, it’s all about the passports and visas.
All offer letters by institutes will be given to students with passports. So if you do not have a passport, we advise and urge you to apply for one at the earliest. Student visas to India are issued to students with passports and offer letters from Indian institutes.
If you don’t have a passport, go to your nearest passport office to apply for one. Passports may take anywhere from 3 days to 30 days to be issued. We also recommend you to get yourself a passport as your identification proof for future purposes.
The Indian Student Visa is a permit document by the Embassy of India, which allows a foreign national to enter India for the purposes of receiving education at an officially recognised educational institution. There are many categories of student visa in India. A student would need to apply for a research Visa, if applying to a Ph.D. course. No student is allowed to come to the country without obtaining a VISA from the Indian embassy in his or her respective country.
Indian Missions/Posts grants a student visa for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of study, whichever is less, to the following:
1. To international students coming to India to pursue regular and full-time academic studies in India.
2. The student should have a valid passport which does not expire during the period of his / her education in India.
3. Applicants should have the proof of admission to a full time regular academic course in a reputed/recognized educational institution in India and evidence of financial support.
4. The applicant should also possess a No Objection Certificate from the Ministry of Health in case of admission in medical or para-medical course.
5. Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa (Not Tourist Visa. Its termination date will coincide with the period of the principal Visa holder.
As soon as you have proof of admission into a full time regular academic course with a reputed/recognized educational institution in India, you can download the form from the web site of the Indian embassy in your country. Visit or mail the physical form to the Indian embassy in your country. For further details and your perusal.
Fees for student visas is different across countries. It ranges from $13 to $118. The VISA fee is to be borne by the student.
Documents required for Visa – You would need the following documents to get a VISA –
• Printout of the completed visa application form, signed by the applicant. [Please note that uploading of the photograph is compulsory]
• 2 recent passport size photographs
• Confirmed admission / offer letter from a recognized university, signed by the International Students Advisor or the College/ Institution in India signed by the Principal. And, all institutes should mail the admission letter to the mail ID of the embassy.
• Proof of financial support from a sponsor with documentary evidence showing the availability of the equivalent of 1st-year college fee plus US$ 2,000/- in the bank account. The documents required are a letter signed by the sponsor, sponsor’s original passport with a copy of the page with personal details of the holder. If the company bank statement is being provided, company details linking the applicant to the account should be submitted.
• Such documentation may be subject to verification. Students should verify, in advance, through the following sources - http://mhrd.gov.in/ ; https://www.ugc.ac.in/ ; http://www.knowyourcollege-gov.in/ ; http://www.aicte-india.org/ ;
Attach a photocopy of the bio page of your passport.
Note – The eligibility criteria may vary according to your country.
As this is sorted, you are all ready to pack your bags, set your heart and be ready to Study in India. We wish you all the best and may the journey unfold new chapters of your life.